Monday, September 7, 2020

What If You Gave Yourself Permission To Rest?

 Do you know how to rest?

I certainly didn't. I'm not sure I've ever really rested in the last decade and a half. My nervous system was so incredibly out of whack that I literally could not simply sit and do ... nothing. The anxious energy stored in my body wouldn't allow it. 

Considering how recently I've begun digging into my healing process, I'm heartened with the progress that I've made. I'm here to give you hope if you think you're incapable of quieting your anxiety long enough to relax. If you really want to get there, you can. I not only couldn't relax, I had no idea that what I felt was so incredibly far from a balanced state. And yet, here I am, learning to let go a little more each day. 

When sitting still is uncomfortable, stay. Breathe. Notice how your body feels. It sounds simple, but if you aren't accustomed to doing this, it might feel excruciating just to be with yourself. Running on the hamster wheel of life keeps most of us from truly inhabiting ourselves. Don't give up on the experience of really dropping into your body when it doesn't feel great in the beginning. If you want to create change, you have to push through everything that feels foreign to you. It doesn't feel that way because it's bad, it feels that way because it's not what you're used to experiencing.

I think that one of the main reasons we resist our own healing and growth is because it makes us uncomfortable, and we don't like feeling discomfort. Change isn't easy. 

If this resonates with you, and you feel like you are incapable of letting yourself rest, I encourage you to do a little research on anxiety and the nervous system. I thought my anxiety ruled me, that I had no control over myself. Turns out that is far from true - I just needed to start the process of taking the control back. There are many ways to do so - taking herbal supplements, eating healthily and mindfully, therapy, breath work, yoga, and cutting back on caffeine, alcohol and sugar. That's what's worked for me. You might find something different. What's most important is that you explore.

If you simply feel that you have no time to commit to actual rest, then my answer to you is this: make it non-negotiable. It has to be a crucial part of your life, not something you push away as a last-ditch effort every day until you realize you've gone months without taking care of yourself. 

I was also guilty of this, and let me tell you something. You aren't doing yourself any favors by running yourself ragged. I can absolutely guarantee you that if you block out rest time - and I mean true rest, not vegging out watching tv and eating junk, but really nourishing and listening to your body and spirit - you will get more done during your productive hours. You cannot build a happy life on an empty, depleted foundation. 

Carve out some rest time. Start small if you need to, but make a promise to yourself and keep it. The more promises you keep, the more confident you will feel in your ability to take care of yourself. 

Start today. Your health is a finite resource. If you continue squandering it, you'll end up with regrets. You got this. Baby steps. Sending you love. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A) I don't have any cats, and even if I did, it would mean nothing about me as a person. Stereotyping and putting people in boxes benefits no one and it's a mediocre way to live.
      B) I feel sorry for you that you would come onto a blog where I'm trying to promote some positivity and troll me. Life is short. Don't waste it spreading unnecessary toxicity. Is that who you really want to be?

      Delete

What If Love Actually Is All Around?

I've come to an uncomfortable conclusion about my relationships lately. It's not them, it's me. I've lived in a scarcity min...